Friday, January 20, 2012

National Digital Ethnic Studies Library Now!

Hi everyone,

I do not know if an Ethnic Studies Digital Library exists, but I believe we NEED to create one due to the oppressive climate in education today.

Historically, education has failed Latinos and Black students.

I would like to volunteer to coordinate the construction of a National Ethnic Studies Digital Library.

I also think this library should, perhaps be funded from Outside the current education system--as this system is White-supremacist and colonial at its foundation.

Does anyone know if a current National Ethnic Studies Library exists?

What do you think of this idea?

Would you be willing to help?

I do not know enough to do this by myself, and do not feel it should be done by a few people--it should be done on a grand scale--the scale that a National Ethnic Studies Digital Library deserves.

Here is our FB Planning group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/213376968755122/


Here is the link to a Spreadsheet that we are using to collect Ethnic Studies Collections:

Ethnic Studies Collection Spreadsheet

Please fill it out with collections you are aware of and think should be included.

Thank you!


Max Macias

6 comments:

Sinvergüenza said...

1) I don't know
2) Brilliant idea
3) Yes I would or will help

Anonymous said...

What would be included (in a perfect world) in the National Digital Ethnic Studies Library? Would this be mainly for Ethnic Studies students? How do you envision the greater community helping with this project? What types of contributions are you looking for? Sounds like a wonderful idea that could help fill a considerable gap and give librarians of color a chance to work on something most would feel passionate about.

Max Macias said...

I will keep you updated as planning continues.

For now, we are working from a FB Group that is open to join:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/213376968755122/



We are looking for people to help with project management, and other aspects of planning like fund-raising, PR, and collection development. Our collection will be open to all kinds of media, from physical objects to virtual objects, multidisciplinary and multimedia with free digital access a requirement.

Please share this information with whomever you feel would be interested and/or would like to contribute.

Unknown said...

I would really like to help with this idea. Please let me know what I can do to get this project off of the ground.

amorcitos said...

Max: There is a federal program called Office of Digital Humanities at the National Endowment for the Humanities. They give away grants 1-2 times per year. Would be worth exploring. Seems like the kind of idea they'd entertain. http://www.neh.gov/odh/

Amy said...

I think this is a great idea, are there any new developments? I'll be checking out the FB group to see how I can help...