Saturday, December 9, 2017

Hello. I'm a Turd.

[I was just informed this 'review' was taken down by Amazon because of racism.]

A recent Amazon.com reviewer of the book I co-edited--Librarians With Spines--took the opportunity to degrade me in public and to even try to humiliate be because I don't speak Spanish.

I'm publishing this hear because this is a perfect example of of librarians of color are harassed by anonymous flamers.




By stellabooon October 19, 2017

This is an unnecessary book. I am a MLS librarian with years of experience. I cry for my profession when new librarians trip over themselves trying to out-radicalize each other. Trust me: ALL librarians believe in intellectual freedom and collection development policies that promote alternative views. That is as old as libraries.

Max Macias, the editor, is considered a kind of joke we tolerate in Oregon. A POC quien no habla Espanol. I welcome new library minds that push our profession forward. Unless you are truly radicalized and want to destroy libraries for all people, this book has zero value.
Listen Stella--I'm fine with criticism of our book, but don't try to criticize my culture and who I am.  

I am not your 'mexican.' 

I am no joke.

I am a Chicano.  

Y-que.  

Thanks for showing how close-minded and racist librarians can really be.  You gave me the perfect example!  Who died and made Stella the grand-poo-bah of libraries, or the definer of ethnicity in Oregon?  This is the kind of environment I exist within.  People don't realize they can't define my ethnicity and also don't define who I am and my worth.  This is a good example of how someone with an MLS can be a close-minded turd.  There are many great librarians her in the PNW.  This just happens to NOT be one of them.

Link to review 

Love, 

Max

3 comments:

schomj said...

Max, I'm sorry you had to experience this. That kind of personal attack is so not ok :(

ramontrane said...

The library world is racist because racism is permeated, embedded in every institution of this country. Racism is structural. It's all over the place. In the South Cone of America we have a saying: "No gastes polvora en chimangos", in other words, "don't waste gunpowder in vultures". This idiot that made the comment is afraid. Big changes in this country, and lots of people don't know how to deal with it, especially in the library world. Don't waste gunpowder in vultures. Use the gunpowder against the machine, not against a nut.
A hug broder, always pra frente,

Martin

Deborah Turner said...

Among all that librarians do, we model freedom of speech. How great that you give air-space to those who disagree with you (despite the personal attack)! It takes a village to make a democracy. Glad you're someone in Oregon who's willing to take part.